Sunday, October 9, 2011

My Blog is Finallly Up!

Hi Everyone,

Finally!  I had several problems getting the blog started.  The strangest things happen here online.  As with so many things, I´m learning to be patient and go with the flow.  We had a very busy weekend.  After I took my shower in the morning (Thank you God!), the water went ran out.  We have been without running for two days, but it finally came back on this evening.  This meant hauling water in buckets from outside for all our needs, including bathing and washing the hair of around 30 girls.  Needless to say, I was beat at the end of the day.  Today we went to mass and after mass we took about thirty of the girls to the botanical gardens.  They were so beautiful and it gave the girls an opportunity for some space and freedom.  Yesterday was Angela´s birthday (one of the volunteers) so Anna I baked a chocolate cake and a gentlemen friend we met at Bible study took Angela and I out for a nice lunch.  The foot here is so good.  On our day off, Thursday) Angela and I discovered a charming little Mexican restaurant and had had the happy hour special...three tacos and a delicioso margarita for two dollors.  Just as an aside, I want you to know that as I write this, Emilia, a five year old, has so far fixed my up with a pirate patch on my left eye and arranged what she refers to as my big hair behind my ears.

Dinner time is approaching, so I need to close.  I´ve learned so much these last two weeks.  My Spanish is improving daily and I´ve learned how to wash clothes by hand, navigate the bus system, pick lice out the girls´hair and my own , I might add, and so many other things.  I still need to figure out how to post my pictures, but they should be coming soon.   Love to all of you!

Judy

5 comments:

  1. Judy-It sounds like you are definitely having an experience there. You wouldn't want it to be just like home. It will give you plenty of memories and lots of stories to tell. You are missing the gray and drizzly weather here - what a shame (not).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the updates Judy - love reading about your everyday life in Bolivia and hearing stories about the girls. Can't wait to see photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying to post, but I don't know if I can - our school is ready to "service-project" you - let me know what you need! erica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Judy!! So happy you're able to blog and email. It helps me to know you're doing okay as you embark on your epic life changing adventure! Even though you paint a vivid picture of your daily life in Bolivia, I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around it, having just returned from the craziness of New York City and back into my hectic life in Portland. It would be a dream come true for me to visit you there to share just a taste of what you're experiencing. It sounds both challenging and enchanting at the same time. I'm so happy you're able to live your dream and am so proud of you. Many blessings to you in the days and months ahead. You're an amazing gal "Mama J" and the girls are so lucky to have you! Love and hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judy, Good to hear from you and things are going well. The girl in the picture is adorable no wonder you fall in love with them. I bet it is great moving about and not being stuck behind a desk, wish I could do the same. Started putting things together for a care package any request? Have an enjoyable day tomorrow and we love and miss you. Bill and Cheryl

    ReplyDelete